World Water Day 2020 Challenge: Our Youth, Our Future
The Lebanese Youth Parliament for Water (LYPW) launched a World Water Day 2020 challenge to raise awareness on water topics in Lebanon and invited schools to take part by encouraging young students to prepare and showcase posters and projects on water issues at a national event. In our interest to avoid health risks to students, the national event planned for 22 March 2020 will no longer take place. Instead, the LYPW invites interested teams from the participating schools to:
- Submit a 2-3-minutes video showcasing a water poster or project anytime between 22 March and 10 April 2020. The video will be posted on the LYPW Facebook Page to be made available for viewing at: https://www.facebook.com/LebanonYouthParliamentforWater/
- Participate in a celebratory event hosted by ESCWA at the United Nations House in Beirut in June, where posters, projects and videos will be displayed, and all participating students and schools will be awarded a personalized certificate of participation.
- Celebrate the members of the three winning teams who will be announced during the event and presented with a first, second or third prize.
Note that video submissions will be assessed based on two criteria:
- Public appraisal: based on the number of likes a video receives until 31 May 2020.
- Technical appraisal: assessing content, level of effort, creativity and impact
We would like to thank all students who have expressed their interest in this event and would like to commend all schools for their efforts in supporting students become the water leaders of the future. We hope that together we can continue to highlight the importance of water for our country and communities and turn the lemons thrown at us into lemonade.
Please keep in mind that the videos submitted should address one of the following themes:
1. Water cycle
2. Water saving techniques
3. Water pollution
4. Water and health
5. Climate change
6. Water and rights
7. Lebanon’s water resources
Please also remember that each video per group should not exceed 3 minutes. A maximum of 4 groups per school can participate. Video submissions and accompanying project form should be emailed to Maya Atieh, LYPW President, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are we?
The Lebanese Youth Parliament for Water (LYPW) is a chapter of the World Youth Parliament for Water (WYPW) initiated by the youth committee of the Ibrahim Abd el al Foundation and the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science at the American University of Beirut. LYPW exists to connect the youth of Lebanon who are passionate for water. The major goals are to advocate for youth inclusion in decision making processes of water within the nation, to raise awareness about the water crisis specific for Lebanon, and to apply youth led initiatives and solutions that promote environmental sustainability and access to clean water resources.